Smart environment consist different types of application like water monitoring, water pollution, air pollution, forest fire detection, smart homes, smart cities where each things can connect from anywhere to anyplace to make our life easier. It also promotes the ideas of a physical world that is richly and invisibly interwoven with sensors, actuators, displays, and computational elements, embedded seamlessly in the everyday objects of our lives, and connected through a continuous network. Smart environment consist different types of application like water monitoring, water pollution, air pollution, forest fire detection, smart homes, smart cities where each things can connect from anywhere to anyplace to make our life easier. With connection to internet of things enable these objects to collect and exchange data.
Environmental monitoring applications of the IoT usually use sensors to lend a hand in environmental protection by monitoring air or water quality, atmospheric or soil conditions, and can even include areas like monitoring the movements of wildlife and their habitats. Development of resource constrained devices connected to the Internet also means that other applications such as tsunami or earthquake early warning systems can also be used by emergency services to provide effective aid.
In devising controls for emission of pollutants and the environment, scientists and engineers have developed strategies for monitoring the environmental issues. Some of the examples as follow,
- Forest Fire Detection: Monitoring of combustion gases and pre-emptive fire conditions to define alert zones.
- Air Pollution: Control of CO2 emissions of factories, pollution emitted by cars
- Earthquake Early Detection: Distributed control in specific places of tremors.
- Water Quality: Study of water suitability in rivers and the sea
- Water Leakages: Detection of liquid presence outside tanks and pressure variations
- River Floods: Monitoring of water level variations in rivers, dams.
It is an excellent concept that will show a new dimension in the smart environment. Although the general and specific objective is very similar, the technological solutions employed are very different.
Source: Ijseas, Wikipedia